Sunday 16 September 2012

Pre-review...

In anticipation of my bar review books (UPS reliably informs me they are in Indianapolis) I signed up a couple of weeks ago for the free Themis courses on the basics. I figured this can be no bad thing since law school was some time ago (four years, yikes!) and obviously there is a lot of US law I just don't know. I mean subject matter jurisdiction? It's not really an issue when you just have one layer of courts.

Anyway, I've downloaded all the lectures and I have been listening to them on my walk into work in the morning - less so on the way back in the last week when I was staying late almost every night - and then trying to fill in the handouts.

There are two observations to be made here.

1. A lot of the law is (for obvious historical reasons) the same. Offer, acceptance, duty, breach... So memorising it will be the bigger challenge rather than understanding that many new concepts.

2. Jurisdiction aside, torts is dull. I never liked torts and it would seem that this has not changed over time. I do not feel much affection for criminal law either. Or fundamental rights. Dull, dull, dull. Strangely, however, despite the fact that I never wanted to be a litigator and am indeed now a transactional lawyer, civil procedure is pretty fun. I put this down to the word 'procedure' which appeals to my innate sense of order...

Now hurry up, UPS, I have outlining to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment