Saturday 15 September 2012

Blog reboot

If I called myself a sporadic blogger, that might be a gross overstatement. Whilst in law school, I was somehow able to sustain a relatively regular pattern of posting and indeed managed to even garner a few regular followers (not that this is the point of blogging). However, once law school was over and I was in the great wide world of BigLaw, it all fell by the wayside and even my best efforts resulted in only managing about thirty posts over two years.

In hindsight, the trouble may well have been the lack of a focal point to blog about. Law school was an obvious one, but BigLaw less obvious with the inherent risks of outing myself/blogging about employers etc. And, let's face it, working in BigLaw doesn't really leave much time for doing exciting things outside of work and still having time to blog about them.

I've decided to return to blogging as I actually have a short-term goal to provide a suitable subject: the California Bar Exam. Now, one might be forgiven for thinking that this must mean I am certifiably insane and should consider voluntary confinement somewhere where they use padding instead of wallpaper. However, I'm doing it and I'm pretty excited about it.

Considering I'm already an attorney, the CBX doesn't bring with the usual 'my life is over if I don't pass this exam' feelings, but all the same I would of course rather pass it the first time around since (1) I am a huge overachiever and hate failure with the same passion most people reserve for Chris Brown and (2) it's really goddamn expensive!

So, here I am. Today is day 1 (sort of) of the bar prep extraordinaire. I have signed up for Themis bar review - the books arrive next week - and tomorrow I will sit down and figure out a study plan/to do list. Discipline and time management, I suspect, will be key, particularly as work has obviously now kicked into a very high gear and everyone is just. too. busy. But in my nerdy overachiever way, I actually enjoy the prospect of studying again, so I almost feel (at the moment) that it will be fun and will balance out the work stress.

This will not, I'm sure, be the case in January when I am working 14-hour days and trying desperately to memorise the elements of mens rea or suchlike.

So, day 1, here we go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment